 Off-Topic / Debate / 10319
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 09:15:37 GMT

Scott Costello wrote:

For the second time I have now been victim of California's rolling
blackouts. The first experience was a few months ago at home, and now today
5/8/01 here at work. For those of you not experiencing this wonderful
phenomenon, it really sucks! This is just the tip of the iceberg, what is it
going to be like come July or August when power demand is really high due to
high temperatures? Our idiot govenor Gray Davis has done nothing but spend
one billion dollars to buy power, this is the equivelant of puting a
band-aid on a bazooka wound. All the stupid politicians out here can seem to
talk about is price caps. While I am sitting here in the dark, I would be
willing to pay a few bucks more to actually have consistant power. Here at
my work we are a website, so we just shut down for about an hour. Granted
this all seems somewhat trivial in the face of other global issues, but this
problem was preventable if our predicessors had even bothered.

Here are a few key facts:
1. In the USA, California is dead last in energy production per capita 50
out of 50
2. In the USA, California is first in conservation per capita.

Believe me the solution is not conservation, we are doing that. The answer
is also not to blow the entire budget on state run power. I doubt a
realistic motion to impeach govenor Davis would amount to anything by next
year, but I sure hope the next guy does a better job.

And here I thought I did not live in a third world nation.

Scott

Wow!.. Blackouts in US? C'mon guys, it's not that big a problem..:-)

We were very get used to it just 10-15 years ago. I mean *regular* and
*planned* blackouts, 2 hours everyday..:-) Things were much better
during the last ten years but our dear governors again started to talk
about insufficient energy plants and reinitiating planned blackouts. The
experts say that it is just a false propaganda to encourage nuclear
energy plants, in which the same governors would have huge amounts of
*profit*, I'm sure.

Selçuk, The 3rd Worlder..:-)