 Off-Topic / Debate / 1031
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 23:36:15 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:
If I were to live in an area with minimal to no gun control laws (as you seem
to be suggesting - my apologies if I am mistaken) - the odds are that anyone
likey to invade my home would have a firearm - which means I am at a serious
disadvantage, regardless of how good I am in a fistfight.  Therefore, I would
need to own a gun, for my own protection, despite my unwillingness to do so.

So it is your belief that in areas with strict gun control laws
criminals simply choose, out of fear of the law or something, to arm
themselves with knives and baseball bats?

No, it is my belief that, in general, most criminals of the caliber likely to
invade my home while I am there are neither stunningly intelligent or
ambitious.  As such, if guns are difficult to get a hold of, they are much
less likely to have them.

   Seems to me that the ones who'll break in while you are there *and* in a fairly
gun-free area are either blindingly stupid or--more likely--intelligent and armed.
After all, they're the ones who aren't caught or killed, and they rob again and
again.  They also don't tend to case and break-in near where they live--they follow
the expressways about thirty miles or so and burglarize in areas where they know
people aren't expecting it.  If you encounter an intruder in your home when you're
very obviously there, I'd bet dollars to donuts he's packing.  That's how it worked
in the suburbs where I lived--whenever there was a confrontation, the intruder had
a pistol because he knew the homeowner was less likely to.  And this was a city
where the average home was $250K!

   LFB.