 Off-Topic / Debate / 1030
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 23:27:25 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Christopher L. Weeks <c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:
Mike Stanley wrote:
It's also a non-issue because it's a felony to cross state lines with
your weapon.  At least that's how I understand it.

Really?  I will have to look that up now.  If for no other reason than
curiosity.

I'm not sure I'm ready to accept that I can only exercise my 2nd
ammendment rights within the confines of my own state.

   My father explained it thus, many moons ago:  If you're going to be carrying
firearms from one state into another, you have to obtain a license from all the
states involved--wherever you'll be carrying the firearm.  If the target area
(pun unintended) doesn't allow concealed weapons, you can't have a concealed
weapon--it's up to the authorities of the place where you'll be.  It's onerous,
but not an infringement of the right itself--it's just a few more ducks to get
in a row.  Call the Florida state police, I'm sure they'll give you the scoop.
The Ohio cops were really nice about it, but that was 1982 or so.
   I think LEOs (even off-duty) and people with Federal permits can carry
firearms across state lines without notification, though.

   LFB.