 Off-Topic / Debate / 10305
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 12:31:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
An addendum to my previous posts regarding the Israeli occupation:

Although I have used the term "Palestinian" repeatedly to describe the Arabs
of that area, I realize that there are certain inaccuracies with the term.
The root word is "Phillistines," a group of people who were enemies of the
Jews. Some people believe the Roman historians spitefully named an area
Phillistia which, through the generations of invaders, changed to Palestine.

   I hadn't thought about the etymology, odd!  Even odder,
   when considering that the inhabitants of Philistia were
   Mycenaean Greeks displaced by the Dorian Invasions of c.
   800BC.  :)  I do wonder, then, how much of their genetics
   and culture ended up floating around and is still with
   us today.

The "Palestinians" today are no relation to the Phillistines. Palestinians
are a mixture of peoples but are predominately Semetic like the Jews. And
Arabs are Semetic. So, it may have been more accurate for me to say Semites
or Arabs. There was no intent on my part to spread Arab propaganda or hide
any facts about anyone. I normally prefer the term Arab, but regretfully
used the term more people were familiar with on this matter.

   I think most of us knew what you meant, or intended to
   impart, in your use of the term.  The very idea of the
   nation-state in its European incarnation is a bit "odd"
   for the Arab world, inasmuch as it's an imported concept
   and virtually always solely attributable to colonialism.
   Even when they were interior boundaries of the Ottoman
   Empire, today's national boundaries did not have the
   character or quite the purpose they do now.

This is unethical. This is against Judaism, Christianity and Islam. This is
all part of the Zionist scheme to rid the Holy Land of Christianity and
Islam. Even Islam recognizes Israel as the rightful home to the Jews and
Jerusalem as their Holy city, but nowhere is it allowed that innocent men,
women and children may be murdered in the name of the Almighty. The
Israelis, like the Nazis, are guilty of genocide. In addition to murdering
or crippling thousands upon thousands, they have robbed the "Palestinians"
of their homes, livelihood, dignity and cultural identity.

   <nitpick>

   "Genocide" is a very incorrect term here.  Killing because
   of who someone is, their religion, ethnicity, or whatever,
   is not genocide unless your plan and intent is to kill them
   *all*.  I have not seen, nor can I fathom there is, any such
   intention on the part of even the staunchest Zionist, just as
   I find it impossible to impart the term "genocidal wishes" to
   the Arab powers who sought to push Israel out of Palestine.  This
   is a term we've all become too lax in using, in order to make
   a hyperbolic point about mass destruction, death, and impover-
   ishment.  It diminishes true genocide, e.g., Rwanda, the 1904
   Herero death march, the Holocaust, the mass slaughter of Bosnian
   Muslims, et cetera.  Deir Yassin was a horrific crime, but it
   does not itself indicate genocide.

   </nitpick>

   Oh, yes, and happy V-E day to everyone!  ;)  Today, 8 May,
   marks the actual surrender, IIRC.

However, I am thankful that a fellow Israeli LUGNETer reminded me that not
all Israelis are in agreement with the occupation. The younger generation is
now realizing that they have inherited the murky legacy of their
grandparents and must answer for those mistakes. Sadly, the younger
generation of Arabs are growing up with the spectre of occupation and of
friends, relatives and homes taken by the Israelis. Can they not help but
rebel? I agree that all the violence needs to stop, that colonialization
goes no further, that Israel returns occupied lands and that both sides
agree on either one state with equal representation or two separate
autonimous states. I retract my remark that the Europeans should go home,
but certainly the hard core Zionists need to for the good of Israel.

   With any luck the hardcore Zionists won't be with us too
   much longer--they, like the hard line of so many lands,
   pass and moderation becomes possible.  It takes brave people
   to pave that way, and I'm convinced that many have not done
   so for fear of being Michael Collins-ed (look him up) in the
   end--that's the price Anwar Sadat paid for pursuing a policy
   of engagement that was unpopular at home, and the equivalent
   was paid by Yitzhak Rabin and politically by Netanyahu.  I can't
   agree with some that the PLO is by nature a "terrorist organi-
   zation," it started out underground but, like SWAPO and UNITA,
   it is now the voice of nationalist moderation and must be heeded
   as such.  I would hasten to point out that the ANC was also long
   considered a "terrorist organization," a classification that is
   not ironically handed out by the very powers they oppose.

   best

   LFB