 Off-Topic / Debate / 10303
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 12:03:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Thank you for your input, Lindsay, and for presenting the "facts on the
ground" point of view about the Israeli occupation. The Zionists would like
nothing better than to hold up their children born in Israel as a further
claim to the land they took from the Arabs. The fact remains that they are
European invaders, regardless of their Semetic claims. The fact remains that
the minority wants to control the majority. We both know there's no way the
Zionists will allow themselves to be governed by the Arabs, since they
expect the same storm of oppression as they had unleashed on the Arabs.
They've beat Arabs down for 50 years, now they want to say "but we live
here, where can we go?" Fine, stay but no more construction and no more
Zionist leadership.

   I can't disagree at all with that last prescription.  I've
   been reading very closely articles that point out that even
   within the territory Israel claims as sovereign, Palestinians
   and other non-Jewish residents will outnumber Jews within 20
   years.  This is an issue of state representation, and I will
   agree wholeheartedly that the ascendancy of Sephardim (I think
   that's the term for Western Europeans, the first wave), who
   make up the bulk of the conservatives, has to bow to true
   democracy.  I've never been in argument with that proposition.

As far as the similarity with the plight of the Native Americans, the
Israeli occupation is not as far along as it was with America and the
Palistinians still outnumber the Israelis by the millions. So, there is
plausibility to a civilian withdrawal, but let's begin with a military
withdrawal. Of course, greed prevails and the Zionists want to clutch
someone else's dirt and say "mine."

   But again, let's use the South African case as a point.  The
   system of proper "apartheid", open-faced and with the Homelands
   system which closely mirrors the "Palestinian Homelands" policy
   of Israel, only dates from 1948.  Yet nobody is suggesting that
   white South Africans go "back to Europe."  The catalyst was a
   final victory in terms of representation and dialogue that made
   it possible for a shocking amount of bitterness to be laid to
   rest.  I've met several ANC officers, one of whom was Mandela's
   personal advisor (Ahmed Kathrada) and occupied the same cell
   block with him on Robben Island for most of the 27 years he was
   there--and it's amazing how little bitterness the man displays,
   primarily because when the walls came down, they came down
   completely.  (If we can ever imagine an Israel with an Arab
   head of state, then we'll definitely have turned the corner!)

   I disagree that a civilian "withdrawal" is plausible, but
   the issue of a military withdrawal is very very different.

As far as Arabs running the Jews out of other countries, you'd be shocked to
learn how much of that was orchestrated by Zionists but blamed on the Arabs.

   There's always some push-pull in a situation like that, but
   the point is that it happened after 1947, and overwhelmingly
   precisely how Zionists orchestrated something in Arab capitals.
   Suggesting that almost makes me expect to hear the infamous
   syllable "Zog!" in the next sentence, or hear a citation of
   the _Protocols of the Elders of Zion_.  There's a point at
   which fighting against oppression turns into paranoia, or at
   least looks like it unless it's carefully supported.  You're
   attributing an inordinate amount of power and competence to
   Zionism, and to quote another .debate, "extraordinary claims
   require extraordinary evidence."

http://www.jewsnotzionists.org

   Lots of problems here, from a historian's point of view.

   I see almost no source citations, especially for the claims
   that Jewry was callously "sacrificed" to "get" Palestine.  Those
   are pretty serious allegations, and if you're going to make
   them, Jewish or not, you'd better have pretty clear documentary
   evidence from the Nazi state that such offers were made.  The
   implication is also that it was only an issue of money, which
   is really pandering to Shylock "Rich Jew" stereotypes.  If it
   were really just a matter of money, would a Rothschild have been
   gassed at Auschwitz?

   I'd like to see documentary evidence, really.  I may in fact
   go into the Hansards when I go home, take a look at 1941-43,
   and see just what was tabled in Parliament.  I have a feeling
   that the matter is significantly more complicated than the
   webmasters above are making it seem, especially in a Europe
   at war.

   best

   LFB