 Off-Topic / Debate / 10294
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 08:54:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
When will the occupation end? When can the Palestinians return to their homes?
When will the world open it's eyes and see who the true criminals are? I'm
finished with this subject, it's too depressing and useless to debate with
people who don't want to shift their pro-Zionist paradigm.

I am perfectly willing to give you the last word, Dan -- but tell me this:
what do you propose should happen if you got everything you wanted?  I don't
want a fantasy, answer with what you would do tomorrow if "fixing" the
situation were up to you and you alone given the real world circumstances at
hand.  Where would people go?  Who would live where?

But I place these inflexible rules over you: you can't hurt people (kill
them or pretend they don't exist with the same motives and desires as
anyone) and you can't make children pay for the sins of their fathers -- if
you take my meaning?).  I place these rules over you because the watching
world would place the same rules over you in my stead if you were actually
in charge. Now, solve the problem in your way...can you arrive at anything
remotely fair by any standards?

See? Because I think the thing is an unholy mess that can't be resolved to
anyone's total satisfaction.  I think the only way to win this one is by
sacrificing most of what both sides want in favor of a lasting peace.

Am I pro-Zionist only because I can't and won't make these people disappear
for you?  The reality is that I am entirely in sympathy with much of what
you have said -- to that extent that I believe both sides are wrong in much
of what they have done.  Your side is about as reasonable as the other side,
in my view, and not much more.

What I am getting at is this: both sides being WRONG in no way makes either
side RIGHT.

-- Richard