 Off-Topic / Debate / 10263
  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) See today's WSJ. All the pieces of Brilliant Pebbles have been tested and shown to work (although not as part of an integrated system). Most of them in Clementine, one of the most cost effective civilian space missions ever! According to the (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) But is the intent of the Umbrella to stop attacks by other nations against other nations? That's how Dubya is trying to sell it, but it doesn't sound like any other nation is buying the rhetoric. (...) That's true--my example wasn't especially (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Um, wrong. Yet another reason to question anything coming across the pages of the WSJ. Not that I've read it since they'd declared breatfeeding dangerous to infants... I've been seeing the antiballistic missile development more-or-less behind (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Right. Hence my question, is it our duty to be the world's policeman (in the area of incoming missiles) just because we CAN? I tend to say no. I say build the thing and then announce that there is a 1B USD charge per missile for stopping (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Jeremy... Clementine was a SINGLE spacecraft. No backup. Sure, there was QA performed on components on the ground to put only ones believed to work into it, but all the components worked (for that mission, which of course was to do mapping, (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Oops, I thought we were talking about the missile shield program, not one portion of it succeeding with 99% already-proven technology. Clementine was less about proving technology, and more about PR. Badly-needed PR, I might add, for an (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)