 Off-Topic / Debate / 10097
Re: A Lego display fund raiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 13:02:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:
Chris is right. The club should not be some snob fest. (Oh we don’t put on
shows for them.) I’m asking anyone who might like to show off his/her Legos.
I’m not asking for someone to support the Catholic Church. If the person did
that, then he/she would give money to the cause. Since the club is doing
this for free means the club is not supporting the cause. The club is asked
to put on a show. I’m not asking anyone to support the cause. Now if the
club where there selling things and then put some of the money toward the
cause, then that would mean the club supports that certain cause. Don’t
think of it as supporting something think of it as showing off your Legos.
If you don’t want to do this then that’s fine. I don’t think you should give
boundaries to the club based on your own beliefs. This club is open to all
possibilities and the club members can choose for themselves if they want to
participate in an event. Enough said.

No, not enough said.  I've moved it over to .debate, follow if you want to.

No, by being present, you _are_ endorsing one religion.  As a _club_ member
(admittedly not your club), would you then want to support my cause?
Reasonablly, I doubt you would, and this is why _as a non political club_, one
should not attend something that is political in nature.  If instead of a camp,
it was going to a non denominational effort (say the church had organized for
relief for the Congo, to be delivered to any in need), then yes, by all means
it is (IMO!) right for the club to undertake the activity.  Club members can do
of course, whatever they like (and, in a case like this, I would support the
use of .michlug as a forum for coordinating a lego event, regardless of the
"religious" background...if I were closer, I might be interested in attending).
However, I think that it is _wrong_ to use your club's name to further a cause
that some members of the club _do not_ associate themselves with.  If you were
the mich(catholic)LUG, then fine- you have identified yourselves as a religious
group, and it becomes a take it or leave it situation for new members.  You are
_not_ (IIRC :) the mich(catholic)LUG, therefore, I would be steering clear of
this venue _as a club_, again, as Larry said, feel free to organize a meet
there if you want to, but don't religisize the club.

(again, this is all _my_ view...feel free to ignore it!)

James

I’m sorry James that I said thing that should not of been said. As you can
see I apologized to Larry about my comments. I’m also apologizing to you for
offending you. Like I told Larry we all have our own opinion why we do
things. I hope our opinions don’t divide us further. I'm sorry again for
offending you.