 Off-Topic / Debate / 10038
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:34:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
I'm not saying that big lies don't happen.  I'm not defending the media,
either.  Um, I'm not sure what I'm saying.  :-,
Comfort food time! ;^)

Ooh!  Thank you Dan!  I could go for some good salsa about now.

And, of course, you have to take it *all* with a grain of salt.  *Everyone*
has a political agenda.  Look for red flags, consider the source, and
observe with a critical mind.
Exactly, but how many folks really do that? We've reduced "news" to a run
down of the world's calamities, neatly packaged into sound bites. What
average American is going to take the time dig a little deeper to discover
the bigger picture being obscured by media garbage?

And who are you to turn the heart of the average American?  To introduce
some new compassion into even a small fraction of your peers...it's a pretty
tall order.

I hate to dredge this up again, but here's one place where religion really
shines -- or where it rears its ugly head.  A good religion will work
towards spreading interest and compassion and curiousity, etc...a bad
religion will work against that.

And I'm sure the next
question is: why should he/she even bother? Well, all things considered, I
have no doubt the American government prefers a passive, uninformed America.

Well...elements within the American government prefer that.  I can attest to
the fact that some people within the government plainly *don't*.  It's still
a government by, of, and for the people.  The beautiful part is, if you
don't like it, you *can* change it.

It is in every American's interest to know the whole story, the bigger
picture so as not to unwittingly cooperate with evil.

Agreed, except s/American's/person's/

Anyway, consider the source.  And eveyone has an agenda.
Yep, that's the bottom line.

Well, what I meant to say is that *you* (you==Dan Jassim) obviously have an
agenda as well.  So figure out a platform, round up some compatable folks,
and do something already.

Myself, I'll just watch y'all as I sit on my duff and munch on taquitos with
peach and mango salsa.  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat