 Off-Topic / Debate / 10024
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:01:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
I'm not saying that big lies don't happen.  I'm not defending the media,
either.  Um, I'm not sure what I'm saying.  :-,

Comfort food time! ;^)

Shortly after seeing Amadeus, I was made aware of the Salieri conspiracy.
The movie was mean, but so what?  As a work of fiction, it was pretty good.
As a semi-true story about well-known historical figures, ehhh, it was a
movie.  The book was probably better anyhow.

Well, the Pushkin playlet started the snowball (bad, bad Mister Pushkin).

OK, my point is this:  don't EVER go to Hollywood expecting to learn
anything about history.  Even the most talented storytellers there work
mostly with fiction.  The very best you'll get are heart-warming anecdotes.

"Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money..."

On the flip side of the coin, you can't compare the veracity of material
from one media outlet (say, Hollywood) to that of another (say, local news).

Hmmm, I can dig that.

And, of course, you have to take it *all* with a grain of salt.  *Everyone*
has a political agenda.  Look for red flags, consider the source, and
observe with a critical mind.

Exactly, but how many folks really do that? We've reduced "news" to a run
down of the world's calamities, neatly packaged into sound bites. What
average American is going to take the time dig a little deeper to discover
the bigger picture being obscured by media garbage? And I'm sure the next
question is: why should he/she even bother? Well, all things considered, I
have no doubt the American government prefers a passive, uninformed America.
It is in every American's interest to know the whole story, the bigger
picture so as not to unwittingly cooperate with evil.

Even something as seemingly altruistic as the movie Schindler's List was
made for one reason:  the soft, sighing sounds of dollar bills dancing
through the air to aloft lightly on Steven Speilberg's...um...well, you get
the picture...

Hah, I love it! :^D

(BTW, I was going to respond to an earlier message giving my vitriolic
opinion about Hollywood award ceremonies and the dreck that invariably comes
from them.  I'll refrain again, for fear of making someone's monitor melt --
though I will tell you it's not pretty.  :-)

Hah! (the laughing continues....hack....choke....) Ohhh, it would have been
beautiful...(sniff)

Anyway, consider the source.  And eveyone has an agenda.

Yep, that's the bottom line.

Dan