 Off-Topic / Debate / 10020
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 02:22:12 GMT

Hi Shiri!

I liked your post very much, especially the part about the personal accounts
of Jewish families during the Holocaust. Big numbers can mean nothing if we
never hear the personal stories of those who suffered or died. When I read
the "Diary of Anne Frank" as a kid, I remember my heart sinking and feeling
an overwhelming sense of sorrow.

Regarding my criticism of the Zionists, I want you to know that there's no
disrespect intended towards Jews in general. The Jewish people I know, that
is religious Jews not political Jews, do not agree with the Israeli
occupation of Palistine. They don't see God as a landlord the way the
Zionists do. In my heart, no true Jew would support such aggression and
brutality. I know you would agree.

I'm glad you also mentioned the genocide of the Armenians (so many people
don't even know about it). I'd add to your list the Kurds of northern Iraq.
Their's is a sad story in recent times when they tried to rise against
Saddam Hussein after the Gulf War. At the behest of George Bush and the CIA,
with the promise of American support, they rose up only to be slaughtered by
the Iraqi Republican Guard when the Americans "changed their minds."  Over a
million Kurds still live in refugee camps in northern Iraq and probably will
never see their homes again.

Dan