 Off-Topic / Debate / 1002
Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 09:56:29 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Holy purple imacs, Macman, we've been slighted! (I think)  Lar's quite
obscure here...must go look up "innumerate" in this context.  At least we
mac users don't end our sentences with prepositions;-)

   BTW, The preposition rule doesn't really exist.  It's
   up there with the one that says "never split infinitives,"
   which doesn't really exist either.  Bill Bryson wrote
   a rather entertaining exposition on it in _Mother
   Tongue_ that made a believer out of this grammar
   purist and academic editor.  Lexicographers in
   the membership, feel free to object.

   Y'see, those are stylistic proscriptions, not real
   grammatical ones.  If you've noticed certain ideas
   that can't be expressed in English without either
   an awkward construction or violating the above
   "rules," you've seen the real proof.  English is a
   Germanic language, not a Romance one, and
   thus shouldn't follow rules based on Latin.  It
   just doesn't work.  Some Oxbridge rube thought
   it would be a good idea to get Classical with the
   vernacular, and voila! there we have it.  I'll
   bet s/he was from St. Antony's.

   And this, I advance, is the real reason for
   violence and hate in the world today.  That
   and Teletubbies.

   LFB.

   PS:  Poetic licence justifies the above fragment,
   though I'm not claiming to be Hemingway.  I
   don't own a cabin or a fishing boat.  (My name
   is Elmer Fudd, I own a mansion and a yacht...)