 Off-Topic / Debate / 10011
Re: A question of remembrance...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:22:16 GMT

I don't remember that special, but--more than just propaganda--it's
playing to public expectation.  If it had aired two years earlier, no doubt
Qaddafi (has anyone ever agreed on an English spelling of his name?) would
have been the target.

Great point, Dave! And that's exactly my point of the media twisting things
to suit a political purpose--hence propaganda.

That's a great cite, by the way!  Did you simply remember it, or did you
happen to have documentation somewhere?

I remember it because it ticked me off. I ended up recording it on video.

Do any nations in today's world engage in full and honest disclosure of
information?  If not, then it seems simply a matter of degree, and the US
can't be criticized as the only offender.  Obviously this doesn't make it
right, but to go on about American Lies is to miss the rest of the issue.

It's not just the lies, but the scope of the lies. No country on this planet
has the money and far reaching power of the American media (and I mean all
media--film, TV, magazines, etc.). We are also the biggest military power on
this planet.With such power, the media is the gatekeeper of public opinion.
To twist facts in this country makes a bigger political difference than,
let's say, Uganda or Libya or Iraq. Of course we are not the only offenders
but we lie BIG. It's like the Chris Rock joke about men, women and lies: Man
tell more lies, but women tell bigger lies. Men will tell a lie like "I was
over at Frank's" when you know were out somewhere else. Women tell lies like
"It's your baby."

Dan