 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 747
Re: What's the connection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:35:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Paul Maxwell writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
In recent months I've acquired a number of old clone sets, and I've
noticed some clear similarities that make me wonder about the connections
between the various manufacturers.  Certain non-standard-brick pieces from
Coko and Blok-Tek are identical in design, for example, while other parts by
Blok-Tek and Tyco are the same.  Are all of these companies one?  Or did
each firm simply by the molds in turn from the previous manufacturer?
I'm interested because a lot of these brands produced interesting parts of
considerable quality, and I'm curious about where these molds might now be
located.  Perhaps Ritvik or Block-Men et al might acquire them for future
production...

    Dave!

Blok-Tek was made by Coko. I believe that Coko is a clone of both Tyco and
Lego. Some of their stuff is almost exactly like Tyco, while some of their
bricks are only available from Lego. Baseplates and castle wheels are Tyco,
but no half height bricks... Slope bricks are Lego also. Go to
http://www.tjcoko.com/ to look at Coko's current offering. Also, go to Joseph
Gonzalez's clone web site for more clone info:
http://members.nbci.com/legohead/clones.html

8^)  Actually, I got some of the clones from Joseph himself!  Coko has
some odd designs, like 1x1 plates with a stud2 on top, as well as 4-high
castle wall segments.  Does anyone know if Coko can ship to the US or has a
US distributor?  I suppose it would be prohibitively expensive to order
directly from them, but I'd like to get a hold of some of their other stuff.

    Dave!

Coko, until about 6 years ago was sold in the US at some TRU, Rite-Aid, and
Aldi stores (at least those are the ones I know of). Little generic Coko
sets (with no name) were sold at Walgreens. It has been at least 5 years since
I have seen any new Coko sets in the US. Joseph bought his directly from Coko,
so you might email him and ask how he did it. Let us know what you find out
because I for one want to order some in the future.

Paul