 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 741
Re: Exceedingly Rare Baseplates?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:19:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Parsons writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
The Velociraptor and Parasaurolophus dinosaur sets of some years ago came
with smallish raised baseplates in a dark tan color.  I've bought several of
these dinosaur sets on Ebay, listed usually as "complete," but I've never
received a baseplate with them.  The auction listings have always included
pictures, so I knew I wasn't getting the baseplate anyway (and I bid lower
accordingly), but I can't imagine why these are so scarce!  I have about a
dozen of the large baseplates but only one small.  Hmpf!

I have a suspicion that Peter White has one of these - I liked it.  I
remember thinking, wait a sec, that's not square, that can't be lego....

I do, I do, I have two.

I think we used it as terrain in the very first BrikWars, pictured in the
right side middle of this pic
(http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/stud/006-47-n.jpg) and better still in
this pic (http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/stud/006-64-n.jpg) from the
webpage (http://www.hinet.net.au/~rparsons/stud/006-3.htm).

You can see both in that first shot, a dark tan one and a lighter tan one.
I was lucky to get both sets in box at Target for approx A$7 each, leaving
two more ravaged examples on the shelf, never to be seen again.
Even better each small pond came with a small fluoro Ickthyosaur/Plesiosaur in
a rubbery plastic.
I have seen them on ebay as part of a larger 'Lego' collection, maybe they
were the ones Dave was meant to get ?
I can imagine golfers keeping the baseplates, painting them green and having
a desktop minifig diorama of themselves on the 18th green.

pete.w <aquanaut@optusnet.com.au>