 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 664
663  |  665
Subject:
MB Blue Thunder plane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:34:56 GMT

I just finished building the MB Blue Thunder plane. I have to agree with
someone else's comment that the rear horizontal wings are a bit flimsy.

However, I had enough spare 1x2 blue plates to add them on as a bit more
reinforcement and found it made the wing a bit more sturdy (although you
still wouldn't want to pick it up by the wing).

I also found that the storage hatch was quite hard to get open, in terms of
getting a fingernail under it to get it started. So I added a Lego 1x2
handle onto it, and now it opens nicely.

It also demonstrated that the MB blue colours in this set is the same as the
Lego blue. However, the yellow colours are different. The MB yellow is a
little bit more lemon-y while the Lego yellow is a bit more mustard-y.
Although there are only a couple of pieces, I think the trans-lime in the MB
set is a bit more yellow-y than the Lego trans-lime which is a touch more
green.

However, as already mentioned, there are times when you want to have a range
of shades of colours for a more realistic effort, and times when matching
matters. So I guess your mileage will vary, depending on your plans.

Certainly there seem to be fewer colours in a MB set than in a Lego set of
similar size, but then Lego does overdo it some times. MB seems to use
stickers to add a bit more colour into their sets.

Kerry

Dr Kerry Raymond, Distinguished Research Fellow           kerry@dstc.edu.au
CRC for Enterprise Distributed Systems Technology       Ph: +61 7 3365 4310
University of Queensland 4072 Australia                Fax: +61 7 3365 4311