 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 549
Re: Valdosta - Round 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:28:46 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:

I knew I forgot something...  clone sets (in case anyone cares).

There were a large quantity of BlockMen Space sets (mostly white parts)

For those wondering whether they *should* care...

There's one Blockmen Space set (3882) that has:
   An 8x16 grey plate of decent quality
   A 32x44 (yes, 44) grey baseplate that's thicker than a standard Lego one,
      but not quite as strong as a regular plate.
   A couple of 3x10x5 BURPs that actually look like rocks (if you're from
      Dover:  they're white)
   A pair of sturdy 3x5x12 dark grey stanchions,  complete with ugly mold
      marks
   An 8-high inclined version of same,  with a 2x6 base and a 2x4 top.
   A couple of interesting trans-dark blue parts they call "pods",  which
      are 6x8x8 (at their widest) halves of an egg-shaped,  um,  pod.  If laid
      on their sides,  though,  they make a half-decent canopy for a
      futuristic vehicle MOC that allows two-across seating.
   A black 4x16 modified plate that's about 1.5 times normal thickness,  with
      a couple of 2x4 sections that are full brick thickness.  Vehicle base?

The baseplate and 4x16 plate have rounded corners.  The 8x16 is normal.

There's an assortment of other specialty parts of possible use,  in addition
to the schlocky-looking (but structurally ok) bricks.  At $8 apiece (with a
60% discount),  it's an okay parts fodder set.

There's also a smaller set that I think was originally $5,  that has one of
the pod-halves,  and one of the 8x16 plates.  $2 a pop wouldn't be too bad for
those plates...

Oh,  and those cute little sandbag POOPs in the "earthbound" sets won't fit
end-to-end unless you do some serious sanding or filing to make them (duh!).
Be sure you do it *before* your Town has a flood,  and you need them to build
a dike.

Ran