 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 444
Re: New Mega Bloks set at E-toys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 23:41:18 GMT

Dave Schuler <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message
news:Fy2ME8.KL2@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, James Parkin writes:
While searching the websites of on-line toy retailers, I came across a • set
from then new "Extreme Sports" Mega Bloks theme, one of those mentioned • at
Mega Bloks web site.  It is called "Skate Park".  You can see a picture • at:

http://www.etoys.com/toy/g/product/101/97/12/lbs1.shtml

There are mostly basic pieces here, but also some interesting new things. • It
looks like they're making use of the silver-gray again, and those light
colored sheets are certainly different. (Are those flexible, do you • think?)
Who wants to volunteer to buy one, and give us a review?  j/k :)

  I didn't buy the Skate Park, but I got two smaller sets for $10 each.
They're quite cool and, as usual, have a larger number of 2x4 bricks than • any
similarly priced System set.
  The designs of the Xtreme sets are cool, if a little simple, and each is
clearly meant as a platform for the curved panels (roughly 8 x 8 x 10). • These
aren't really flexible, and they have what amounts to a 2x8 connecting • surface
on either end.  I haven't yet figured out another use for them, but I've • got a
few ideas.
  In addition to the curve panel, the sets have two new kinds of • slopes--one
that's 4 wide by 2 tall by 8 deep, and another that's 4 wide by 2/3 tall • by 5
deep.  The lower slope tapers almost to a single edge, rather than a • leading
face as on 45-degree slopes, and the two slope types fit together smoothly • to
create a longer, low incline.  They're not bad, and I have a few plans for • the
longer slopes, too.
  The figures are the same old, generally unsatisfying MegaBloks guys, but • at
least they've got cool accessories, including a pair of skis about 7 studs
long, as well as a smaller pair for a snowmobile, skipoles, roller blades, • a
skateboard, a blue chrome bike, and a snowboard.
  The hands of most recent MegaBloks figures have been fixed in an • up-and-down
grip position, but one figure in each of these sets has a horizontal grip,
allowing it to hold handlebars et al.  It's still a one-piece hand-and-arm
design, but at least it's an option.
  I'll post more specific piece inventories and design reviews if anyone's
interested.  Let me know.

Please.  What are the $10.00 sets?  Where are they ?  Do they include
ladders?
tia
sheree

     Dave!