 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 443
Re: New Mega Bloks set at E-toys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 23:25:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, James Parkin writes:
While searching the websites of on-line toy retailers, I came across a set
from then new "Extreme Sports" Mega Bloks theme, one of those mentioned at
Mega Bloks web site.  It is called "Skate Park".  You can see a picture at:

http://www.etoys.com/toy/g/product/101/97/12/lbs1.shtml

There are mostly basic pieces here, but also some interesting new things. It
looks like they're making use of the silver-gray again, and those light
colored sheets are certainly different. (Are those flexible, do you think?)
Who wants to volunteer to buy one, and give us a review?  j/k :)

  I didn't buy the Skate Park, but I got two smaller sets for $10 each.
They're quite cool and, as usual, have a larger number of 2x4 bricks than any
similarly priced System set.
  The designs of the Xtreme sets are cool, if a little simple, and each is
clearly meant as a platform for the curved panels (roughly 8 x 8 x 10).  These
aren't really flexible, and they have what amounts to a 2x8 connecting surface
on either end.  I haven't yet figured out another use for them, but I've got a
few ideas.
  In addition to the curve panel, the sets have two new kinds of slopes--one
that's 4 wide by 2 tall by 8 deep, and another that's 4 wide by 2/3 tall by 5
deep.  The lower slope tapers almost to a single edge, rather than a leading
face as on 45-degree slopes, and the two slope types fit together smoothly to
create a longer, low incline.  They're not bad, and I have a few plans for the
longer slopes, too.
  The figures are the same old, generally unsatisfying MegaBloks guys, but at
least they've got cool accessories, including a pair of skis about 7 studs
long, as well as a smaller pair for a snowmobile, skipoles, roller blades, a
skateboard, a blue chrome bike, and a snowboard.
  The hands of most recent MegaBloks figures have been fixed in an up-and-down
grip position, but one figure in each of these sets has a horizontal grip,
allowing it to hold handlebars et al.  It's still a one-piece hand-and-arm
design, but at least it's an option.
  I'll post more specific piece inventories and design reviews if anyone's
interested.  Let me know.

     Dave!

All of these are pretty nifty and