 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 38
Re: Coko Bricks Military Sets review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 05:44:14 GMT

I noticed as I perused the list the mention of trainstrainstrains (but no photo
link).  Does anyone know where I might be able to find a jpg or photo of the train
stuff?

-John

Carbon 60 wrote:

Joseph Gonzalez wrote:
First off, I'll mention to newcomers that the Coko products apparently aren't
new and were more readily available in the U.S. in the early to mid 1990's.
You may still be able to find some in hobby shops or discount stores.
An unofficial product list can be found here:
http://users.sisna.com/gonzo3/coko.html

The Coko military sets are cool.

PRODUCT:   The elements are made from a plastic VERY similar to Lego's (as a
matter of fact, the boxes state that the material is ABS) and the bricks have a
"glossier" look than other brands like Megabloks or Best-lock.  Bricks' design
follows the stud-and-tube design of Lego very closely and this, coupled with
the more pliable/softer ABS plastic, makes the bricks stick much better than
other brands' more rigid material.  It should also be noted, though, that
sometimes the plastic seems almost too glossy/slick and some elements pop off
of others (I've also seen this once or twice in a Lego set).
Plate thickness is one-third that of a brick (another plus in the
Lego-compatible department).

Well I think TENTE is very ABS like much more than Megabloks which seems
to be made from something else.

Elements in the lineup include the standard plates, bricks and slopes, but also
include particular elements like odd half-slope/half-plate elements (Best-lock
has these) and a 1x2 plate with a hatch which is kind of cool for the tanks.

TENTE has these slope pieces also it must be a good idea then - LEGO
don't have them probably because it goes against roof tile BRICKS.

WRAP-UP: Bottom line is that these are excellent military sets.  In my opinion
the product is better than the other clones that are currently available
(though it doesn't quite match the almost-perfect likeness that my only Tyco
space model shows against real Lego).
Coko Bricks get a satisfied "thumbs up" for solid models and compatible bricks.
You'll probably end up tossing the minifigs but their accessories (and
stickers) will work nicely with your regular figures.

Talking of Coko bricks.  I've seen the B2 - Stealth Bomber on your web
site and someone on RTL said they had seen a black version of it -
anyone?  It looks like a cross between the the F117A and the B2.  I am
going to try to replicate it in LEGO but are those tiles or brick-tiles
- bricks without studs?

Carbon 60

--
Carbon 60