 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2749
Re: Clone brand quality
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:06:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:

So "Bricks" are hard to label, as they are both an illegal pirate company and a
more legal clone company.
"Shifty" was/is maybe, maybe not, connected with "Bricks", but "Shifty" are in
every case direct copies of LEGO sets, with very poor quality bricks.

Thanks for the clarification--I only have one "Brick" Castle set, and it
included clearly pirated as well as clearly original elements.  I don't own any
"Shifty," but I concur with your assessment.

I have no experience with Tyco, and what little experience I have with
Built-to-rule don't impress me; good quality bricks, but very few "normal"
bricks, almost solely customised, special bricks.

Tyco is of excellent quality, and some consider it to be the king among clones.
There sets were, IMO, not especially well-designed, but the elements were very
good.  Perhaps the chief shortcoming was that Tyco "plates" were actually
half-height bricks, so they lost some functionality that other clone brands have
enjoyed.

I agree also with your take on Built-to-Rule.  FAR too many specialized
elements, with a tiny fraction of any set's inventory devoted to "conventional"
bricks.

Dave!