 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2746
Re: Clone brand quality
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 05:42:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
There are a number of knock-off brands that produce sets almost identical to
LEGO or Mega Bloks, but with vastly inferior quality.  These are, in almost
every case, illegal, and they've been hit by numerous lawsuits in recent years.
Still, you might see them on eBay or in retail stores from time to time.
Dave!

The infamous Chinese "Bricks" company has made several knock-offs of LEGO sets,
and have lost several legal cases, but they also make their own legal military
sets, with excellent designs and pretty high quality bricks, matching the MB
quality as of 4-5 years ago.
So "Bricks" are hard to label, as they are both an illegal pirate company and a
more legal clone company.
"Shifty" was/is maybe, maybe not, connected with "Bricks", but "Shifty" are in
every case direct copies of LEGO sets, with very poor quality bricks.
"Polly" was an East German company in the days of DDR (80ties), who made their
own designs but used LEGO cloned bricks, of not-so-good, not-so-bad quality;
they also had a few bricks of their own design, including a small "stud" brick
that made it possible to connect two bricks bottom-to-bottom seamlessly; thus
they avoided the inverted slopes, they used normal slopes upside-down.
"Byggis" is a recent Swedish company that makes mostly bulk packs of LEGO cloned
bricks, in quite good quality.
I have no experience with Tyco, and what little experience I have with
Built-to-rule don't impress me; good quality bricks, but very few "normal"
bricks, almost solely customised, special bricks.

SO I have many LEGO sets, and many clones, but I keep them by themselves; I
would never dream of using even MB bricks in a LEGO MOC (even though I admit
that I once have used some LEGO bricks in a MB MOC).

Arne, Copenhagen