 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2662
Re: Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:31:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, A. Mark Wilburn wrote:
   Mark W
   That Cessna is news to me. I don’t follow Best-Lock as closely as Mega Bloks, but when I see something cool from BL I may give it a look.

I don’t know if either of you have actually tried a BestLock set... yes, they look pretty cool and you get a LOT of pieces for the price. And the fact that they use the stud width = brick height (so a plate is 1/2 a stud thickness, and so that every 5 Lego bricks stacks up to every 5 Best Lock) would have provided for some very interesting building.

But alas, they don’t stick to Lego. Their studs are thicker and taller than Lego’s ... A Lego brick will stick on top of a Best Lock piece, but not the other way around. Also, a Lego plate, on top of a BL piece will leave a gap (because the BL studs are too tall). If Megablocks is 90% compatible with Lego, these are less than 50%.

Oddly, their Minifigs are pretty much 100% compatible.

Hi there!

Thanks for checking in and for the info. I actually do own probably around 3000 Best-Lock elements, and maybe two dozen of their minifigs. I am in general agreement with your assessment of compatibility, but I thought that the LEGO:Best-Lock height ratio was 6:5. A LEGO stud is 1/6 the height of a LEGO brick (minus the studs), while a Best-Lock stud is 1/4 the height of a LEGO brick. Now that you mention it, I’d never even thought about stud-thickness vs. brick height. That’s another good proportion to keep in mind.

Best-Lock has been discussed on and off here for a number of years, and the prevailing sentiment seems to be “How the heck does this brand stay in business?”

Also, I’d say that LEGO is about 98% compatible with Mega Bloks! 8^)

Dave!