 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 258
Re: Best-Lock vs. Kloss?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:41:53 GMT

Tore Eriksson wrote:

Is there anyone who has both Kloss and Best-Lock and therefor is able to
compare them?
I suspect they are very similar.

FYI, Kloss is a very cheap clone, I hate to admit it but it says
"Swedish design".

Even though they are inferior, I bought two new sets today. Why? I don't
know. I guess because they used to be very low-priced, and now they're
50% off.

I've uploaded some .DAT files so you may use LDraw/LDLite to study them:

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-20413/mybricks/kloss1.zip

I'm particulary interested in whether Best-Lock has those bars instead
of studs on the bottom.

I've never really got myself set up to look at L-Draw files (and it's
tough at work with an RS/6000 running AIX), but having just built the
Best-Lock pirate ship last night (look for a more complete review
tonight), I'll talk a bit about the Best-Lock blocks.

The Best-Lock blocks have the same stud pitch as LEGO bricks, but have a
height equal to 2.5 plates instead of 3. Additionally, their plate is
1/2 their brick height (or 1.25 plates thick). The underside of the
bricks have dimples every half stud, and two ridges down the center of
the long axis of the 2x and wider bricks and plates. The dimples allow
half studd offsets along the length of a brick (if a longer brick is
placed on top of a shorter brick - in the pirate ship, this is even used
once). The stud heigh it somewhat higher. The bricks seem to have
somewhat varying gripping force. Some I needed a LEGO brick seperator to
pry apart, others fall apart with no effort. I think it's more a factor
of those bars than variability in tolerances (shorter bricks seem to be
more secure). The plastic is a harder plastic than LEGO bricks (I would
guess poly-styrene as opposed to ABS).

One thing I really noticed is that the shorter bricks made it very hard
to separate bricks and plates. Harder actually than Tyco (which also has
1/2 brick height plates, but their brick height is the same as LEGO
bricks).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com