 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2570
2569  |  2571
Subject:
Review of MB3602: Hidden Loot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:43:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Review of MB3602 Hidden Loot
MSRP: $4.99
Pieces: 20
Figures: 2

This small set is similar to the 3601 3601 Pieces of Eight and incudes two figures, a small terrain piece, weapons, treasure, and a scenery element. The packaging is much like what I described in review of the 3601 but the pouch is black.

The characters in this set are the highly articulated “Collectible Micro Action Figures” like others in the Pyrates line. The privateer is Dagger Tremaine (perhaps kin to the apprentice silversmith?) while representing the Skeleton Crew is Hatchetfoot (about whose kin I don’t care to speculate). Dagger has black pants and boots, a red coat, a lopsided belt, an earring, and a black head band, and he wields a brown and silver pistol. Hatchetfoot wears gray boots, a black belt, gray bracelets, and a black headwrap, and he wields a translucent blue axe like those wielded by others of his crew.

The set comes with a treasure chest and 10 large “emeralds,” which are those very clever 1x1 faceted tiles, in trans-green. A large, black scorpion is included to guard the treasure; this is a one-piece element like the spiders and snakes in other Pyrates sets, with no stud-attachment points. The scenery piece is a brown flagpole with a black flag emblazoned with the Pyrates logo.

Whoever came up with the flag-standards in the Dragons line really lit on a clever idea; the four-stud attachment is pretty strong and it just looks good. Whereas in those sets the attachment is perpendicular to the shaft, here it runs along the shaft so that the flag points horizontally.

The base is one of the small terrain pieces, again styled like a wave-licked rock or tiny island.

Additional features are: a coin for use with the included map and “webcode.” I haven’t tried this out yet because I get an error message from the Mega Bloks website, but I’ll keep trying; a press-on tattoo with the same Pyrates logo. I forgot to mention the tattoo in my review of 3601, but I think that it’s a nice marketing point. Sure, I don’t expect to put it on my arm because my workplace has rules about that kind of thing, but I could see kids enjoying it just fine.

Overall I’d say that this is another great little set and an inexpensive way to get your hands on a pair of Pyrates figs if you want to check them out for yourself. I’d definitely say that it’s worth the $4.99. Critics will note that LEGO’s 6251 came with more figures for $6.50, but that was fifteen years ago, and anyway the Pyrates figs are IMO a lot cooler. If Mega Bloks puts out a pack with more figures, even for $6.99 or $7.99, I’ll snap it up as soon as I see it.

Although I just can’t say enough about these cool micro action figures, it appears that I can say too little. I’ve previously neglected to mention that the hand (which have thumb-and-fingers rather than lobster-like pincers) actually have molded fingers. This appears to be exclusive to the Pyrates figures, because the current Marvel figures don’t have this feature. However, the old Mega Bloks astronaut figures did have molded fingers, albeit with the aforementioned pincer design. FYI.

All in all, this is a nice little set.

Dave!