 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2469
review: Chinese "Bricks" military sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:03:46 GMT

Hi,

As a Dane I am of course an avid protector of the LEGO brand, but never the less
I have occasionally strayed into the clone worlds ( I have a number of MegaBloks
dragon sets, and like them a lot - not the dragons, but the bricks).

My latest acquisation was a batch of military "Bricks" sets (I can't show
pictures, but they are all shown here: http://pc-link.biz/lego/)

I've opened and build set 0279, Army Base (13 US$), and I was duly impressed.

First off: the quality of the bricks are much better than I expected, almost as
good as LEGO itself. I didn't get any warped or misshaped bricks, the clutching
power was excellent, and the bricks all have standard sizes.

The colors are not LEGO colors (of course not the nice military green, as LEGO
have never made this), the red and blue being a bit brighter, the green (the
trees) being a bit darker.

The design is superb (and is not a rip-off of any LEGO designs), the instruction
book is small, but very comprehensive and easy to follow.

There is a number of bricks, that LEGO never made: 10x20 plates, 2x1x6 high
panels with hollow backside, some odd "corroded" round 1x1 bricks, some very
nice lids with hinges, the helmets and the kalashnikov rifles (or whatever the
chinese equivalent is; I mean, if they can clone LEGO, they can clone
kalashnikov as well, right?).

The feel of the finished model is like something from MASH, some old Asian or
Eastern European "Red Star" HQ, but as the sign says "Kommandatura", it's
probably supposed to be Cuban.

There are 9 minifigs, three heads with beards (LEGO clones), three heads with
mic's (LEGO clones), and three heads that look somewhat special with square eyes
(not LEGO clones). Three helmets with white stars, three helmets with red stars,
and three black caps with red stars. Three different torso printings (not LEGO
clones).

And: there are NO stickers, all bricks have nice solid prints; and the 1x4 tiles
with camouflage print have 4 dífferent prints!

So in conclusion: a quality almost equivalent to LEGO and a unique design both
on building, car and accessories (toxic waste drums and a handstand!) makes this
a "9"-rating on the LUGNET scale.

Arne, Copenhagen