 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2479
Re: review: Chinese "Bricks" military sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 02:05:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
Hello Arne!
     Thank you for the thorough review.  I have very little exposure to this
brand of bricks, and I appreciate any info I can get.
     I’m particularly interested in the 10x20 plates.  Are they the same height
as LEGO plates?  And do they have tubes on their underside?  If so, then these
strike me as the same molds used in a Coko castle set I own as well as in the
Blok-Tek B2 Bomber set.  The 2x1x6 panels sound similar to a Tyco element, but I
think that Tyco’s was 5 high.  An example appears in the snout of this craft
(with the “open” side of the panel facing the floor):
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~drteeth1/clones/5340.jpg
Additionally, can you describe the “corroded” bricks a bit further?

I’m also pleased that you pointed out that the set itself isn’t a rip-off of any
LEGO set, even if some of the parts are practically identical.  Some
disreputable brands do indeed copy entire LEGO sets, but when clone brands
produce their own designs, I’m delighted.

Thanks again.

Dave!

Ok, the panel was my mis-writing: it IS a 2x1x5 brick like your Tyco.
The plates are indeed the same height as LEGO plates; they have tubes on the
underside, but not completely covering the underside, there are two "lanes" of
missing tubes.
The "corroded" brick is a little hard to describe. Imagine a 1x1 square brick
with a round 1x1 on top, making it 2 bricks high? But the 1x1 is only square on
one side (with a stud-hole), it is rounded at the other side, with horizontal
lines at the rounded surface. The top half is completely round, with vertical
lines all round. They are used laying down as headlights in the vehichles.

Ah-ha!  Looking again at the picture of set 0279, I see which bricks you mean.
I have four of these in dark gray from Oxford set 15000.  They're pretty neat.

And the "Bricks" company it not an angel; they make a lot of illegal direct
copies of Lego sets, but I have avoided buying any of those. And they shouldn't
have to make illegal copies, as their own sets is very well designed.

Hope this helps a bit?

It helps a lot--thanks!

Though I'm a huge fan of clone bricks, I don't like illegal rip-off brands.
It's a shame when a company with a lot of potential spoils its reputation by
stealing from another company.

I'll need to double check some of my Coko stuff to see how the 10x20 plates are
put together.

Dave!