 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2462
Re: 2005 Toy Fair pics for Megabloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:23:23 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Frank Filz wrote:
Dave Schuler wrote:
X-Posting to .Pirates in the good-faith interest of sharing
information.  FUT back to ot.clones only.

An anonymous tipster, who previously helped with some
<http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/clone-brands/?n=1808 TMNT info>
has stepped forward again to provide

<http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&
sid=14138&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
this link,> exactly as I'd hoped.

Well, what can I say?  The ship looks fantastic.  We even have

<http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=ImageBank&file=ind
ex&id=58470
deck rats!>  I first thought that those barrels are the same as the
ones that came in the LEGENDS and WESTERN sets a few years ago, but
now I'm not so sure. If not, then this is the third "wooden" barrel
design from MEGABLOKS, which is fine with me.

Hmm, looks like a stylized plastic model with a few studs.

MEGABLOKS are looking less and less like a construction toy.

And people complain about LEGO juniorization...

The hull is sectional, as can be seen in the instruction for the Man
O' War 9895 that appears to use the same hull design:
http://www.megabloks.com/eng/customerservice/playbooks/pdf/9895.pdf

At the moment I can't seem to find the post in which you criticized
LEGO for having similarly modular Pirate ships--perhaps you can point
me to it.

On the contrary, one reviewer long ago praised the two-piece hull of
the Viking Ship 9604 as "real nice," while the Creature Seekers Naval
Command 9101 was purchased expressly for its large hull (also
described as "real nice" despite its heavy juniorization).
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/clone-brands/?n=7

I suppose that one's tastes *can* change in six years...

There is a difference between those older sets and the current sets though.
The older sets LOOK like a construction toy. The newer sets look like a
plastic model, with a few studs thrown in. I'd also like to add that back
then when I looked at those sets, I had not yet been exposed to the way
Megabloks dramatically changes their minifig style every few years, and even
year to year, there are far more changes than LEGO has year to year.

So yes, I stand by my comments that the Megabloks of today totally
disinterest me from a stylistic standpoint, and I think they are more
juniorized than before (though granted, the sets back then did feature
things like one piece buildings, so perhaps those were worse than today's
sets).

Frank