 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2419
Re: Lego loses legal battle with Best-Lock in Germany
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:15:35 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Erik Olson wrote:
Lego is about to lose its monopoly in Germany.  They have lost their suit to
keep out Best-Lock and lost the law protecting the sanctity of The Brick.  Mega
Bloks are poised to go into the German market and are projected to rapidly take
20% market share.

MB issued a press release about this as well:

http://www.megabloks.com/eng/media/pdf/20041208.pdf

its a relatively slow loading PDF. Unfortunately I could not just grab the text
but the gist is they are happy and they think they are going to do well.

XFUT off-topic.clone-brands

I saw that press release and couldn't decide whether to mention it here.  I
don't know if those of us in North America will see much impact from this, but
anything that makes a stronger brand would seem to be a benefit in the long run.
For that matter, LEGO customers might benefit as well, if the wider arena of
competition forces LEGO to refocus its efforts.

Dave!