 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2403
2402  |  2404
Subject:
New MegaBloks buckets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:48:48 GMT

On Friday I spotted three new MegaBloks bulk buckets on the shelves of a local
TRU.  I’m not 100% sure of the set numbers, but here are the details as well as
I recall them:

Set #876  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Promo Bucket
300 pieces, with two Turtles and one Foot Clan soldier.
The bucket looks to be the same size as the 1400-piece
generic bulk tubs currently available.
Price:  $19.99

Set #5723 Power Rangers DinoThunder Promo Bucket
300 pieces, with a Blue Ranger and Blue motorcycle.
This likewise resembles the conventional 1400-piece
bucket and retails for $19.99

Set 9761 X-Treme Sports Promo Bucket
210 pieces, with an Xtreme Sports minifig and a little
racecar of somekind.  This is about the size of the 600
or 700 piece buckets and retails for $9.99.

Obviously, these are pretty rotten from a piece:price ratio, and I’m not really
sure how they calculated the MSRP.  I don’t know if these are TRU exclusives or
if they’re intended as general releases.  For that matter,  they might start out
as TRU exclusives and then spread to other retailers, the way the FDNY Firetruck
and the Space Shuttle sets did a few years ago.  The only real selling points I
can see are the generic appeal of  the theme-sets among people who don’t know
the themes that well.  It might be easier to remember and “buy me that TMNT
bucket” than “buy me the TMNT Battle Shell Bridge.” Also, I suppose that an
included storage bucket is a generally appealing selling point, as well.

Despite the hefty piece-price, this move makes me optimistic about possible
future releases.  With the advent of the Marvel sets, we might see a bucket or
two for that line.  The buckets are also interesting in terms of  MegaBloks
history; it’s been about six years or more since MB released theme-specific bulk
buckets, so it’s nice to see a return to that product idea.

If anyone spots any other buckets or sees these buckets outside of TRU, please
let us know.

Dave!