 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2392
Re: Never-released LOTR Intelli-Blox sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:16:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Bryan Wong wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
Some of this is borne out by the over-expensive "Mines of Moria" set, which
featured the pricey voice-chip technology that probably helped to doom the line.
The instructions for the set gave a listing of the phrases that each figure
would say when inserted into one of the sound-producing nodes on the big
baseplate.  Among the listed characters was Bilbo, who did not appear in any of
the released sets, so it seems likely that he was at least planned.  I suspect
that the missing sets were produced in some very limited quantity, or perhaps
they were all simply destroyed.  It would be quite cool to find any of them,
especially the Basic Block Bucket.

Out of curiosity, I just searched for Intelli-Blox on eBay and the Mines of
Moria set does turn up!  But you're right - this whole series of toy was poorly
marketed - I never saw it in stores!

I think I was unclear in my wording.  The Mines of Moria set was indeed
released, and eventually I was lucky enough to find one on deep discount at KB
toys.  The instructions included in that set gave the description of the phrases
uttered by the other, non-released characters.

Sorry for the confusion!

Dave!