 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2147
Re: Ill tidings for Built-To-Rule?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:33:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
   My local TRU has the entire line of BTR sets (Transformers, GI Joe, and Tonka) on 50% clearance. Well, they say 50%, but sets that were $12.98 are not $6.98, etc.

I just discovered BTR this weekend, and OH MY GOODNESS. I couldn’t believe the level of quality. They are all on half price at my Toys R Us as well, but I didn’t take this as a bad sign (at least not bad for BTR), since this is the first time I have SEEN them at TRU, I assumed the sale was some sort of loss-leader, introductory thing.

I bought the “Ocean Rescue” set for 4 bucks on sale. The plastic is good quality, the thing snapped together perfectly, the instructions were understandable and clear, and after construction the “rescue boat” was practically indistinguishable from a prebuilt tonka toy bought off the shelf. It was sturdy and probably had great play factor for little kids. I certainly had a cluster of little kids swarming around me as I was building it. Yes, it’s quite juniorized, but in a sturdy, built-for-play kind of way.

The pieces seem very specialized at first, but after playing with them a bit, it becomes clear that they can go together in lots of different configurations. AND, the instructions are online in case you lose yours. They don’t sell generic buckets of pieces, only sets which support their other product lines (GI Joe, Tonka, Transformers). So, they are not so much a building toy as a different way of selling the same kind of toys that Tonka et al have generally been producing already.

As far as compatibility with Lego bricks, they are pretty much 100% compatible. In fact, I took two 2x4 bricks, one BTR and one Lego, and gave them to my bf and told him to tell me which was the Lego brick without looking, just by feel. He couldn’t tell. He picked the BTR brick. When I did the same test with plates (2x2 plates), he picked the Lego plate, but I think it was more luck than any actual noticable difference in quality. This is the first clone brick I know about that is THAT close to Lego quality.

If I didn’t have longstanding gripes against Hasbro, I would probably be thrilled with the BTR stuff. As it is, all I can do is worry that Lego is going to be yet another Hasbro casualty.

However, maybe the half-off sales are more ominous for Hasbro than I thought. Somehow, I doubt it.

Pamela