 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2050
Re: New MEGABLOKS items
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 03:35:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Kevin Johnston wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
Thoughts?  I find the whole Thunderbirds vibe to be extremely creepy in some
way, not unlike a ventriloquist's dummy.  I note with interest that these
sets seem to include very old MEGABLOKS elements (the foliage from those
Dinosaur sets circa 1993) as well as new parts, including the new LEGO-style
minifigs (albeit with weird, extra-large heads.)

I haven't seen these sets anywhere in the US, nor even a mention of them.
Has anyone else spotted them or information about them?

FYI Hobby Link Japan (www.hlj.com) has them for sale.  I have a set ordered, but
they haven't arrived yet.

MB has an Ultraman license in Japan as well (I ordered a couple of those, too),
and their Power Ranger sets are onto the next theme over there (dinosaur-ish
designs ... Power Rangers typically air in Japan a year ahead of where the US
series is.  If the MB Ninja Storm sets did well at all here [I have no idea] the
Dino Thunder sets will appear in the US for 2004.).

Hi Kevin:
   Thanks a ton for this link.  I'll spend a chunk of my afternoon browsing
through the pictures, almost all of which are completely new to me!

LOL!  Glad to provide some entertainment.  I actually tried to post this link
about a month ago when I first saw the sets, but Lugnet emitted some strange
error on me when I posted, and I let it slide until I saw your message.

Would you mind revealing how long ago you ordered or what the shipping costs
were?  The actual prices seem fairly reasonable, and I might be tempted to make
a purchase if it's sufficiently cost-effective.

No problem - the order went in about two weeks ago, and I expect to get the box
within a week.  This is typical for HLJ items that are in stock.

I collect action figures, and I have been buying from HLJ for over two years.
Simply put, they rock - however, they have their "own way" of doing things and
there are some things you should know going in.  If you order things that are
clearly marked in stock (and they have improved this indication lately), you'll
get them in roughly 3-4 weeks.  You'll pay whatever the ordinary shipping
charges are, which is to say it's not cheap, but they're not ripping you off
with "handling charges."  The items themselves are pretty much standard Japanese
retail prices, in contrast to both American companies that add a huge mark-up
and Japanese companies that also mark-up for American buyers.  If you order
stuff that's out of stock, or is a pre-order, you may pay for multiple
shipments.  They are pretty good about combining where it makes sense (even for
stuff that's not in yet), but be aware of this distinction since you DO NOT get
a clear, concise shipping cost when you check out (and they are clear about this
in the FAQs).

Putting it another way: if you know the caveats, buying from HLJ is pretty much
the most cost-effective way I have found to buy Japanese toys, and I've tried a
lot of sellers.  The #1 trick is to consolidate your order -- buy stuff all at
once, in stock so it ships in one go -- to keep your shipping costs under
control.

The box may already be at my local post office (I have a slip from when I was
out of town last week).  I'll post a few comments when I get my hands it, either
way.

Kevin