 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1985
Re: new Mega Bloks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 04:22:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Jeff Szklennik wrote:
@ W*M in Claremont, NH, I saw a red indy car- slightly larger than minifig
scale.  It comes with a torso & head/helmet piece for the driver, & comes
with a red race helmet keychain.  it was in the same spot as the green &
yellow dirt bikes & is about $10.

Cool--I'll have to watch for that.

I happened upon an unexpected toy aisle in Sears in which several small
MEGABLOKS sets were available in the $5.00 to $10.00 range.  These are re-issues
of older sets, this time under the label ModelMax Pro.  Included in the
inventory was the gray 9709 fighter jet and a number of other sets that used to
come in plastic grip-n-go cases.  Some people may be intersted in these sets
because they come with the classic MEGABLOKS canopy piece in trans-red and
trans-white, for example, as well as the trans-black bubble canopy from the 9709
fighter.  These sets are all re-issued under different lot #'s, so that the 9709
is not called 9709 in this incarnation, but they appear otherwise identical
(including 4 of those cool 2x2 cones in black).

yup i've seen those too.

The only thing that troubles me is that these sets are packaged in boxes much
larger than necessary, resulting in a worrisome waste of paper.  There are
better windmills to tilt at, I know, but it just seems like an odd choice for
the good people at MEGABLOKS to have made.

Dave!

that's the SAME gripe I had!

Jeff