 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1815
Re: Review of BTR Transformers Armada Jetfire
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:39:22 GMT

In lugnet.reviews, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.reviews, John Fiala wrote:
Hasbro BTR Transformers Armada
JetFire kit
$7.99 at Target, 39 pcs

     Wow.  That's more expensive per part than the Bionicle series, and they
don't look anywhere near as good.

The main reason for the expense is probably the central piece and the arms and
legs that hang off of them.

     That's one of the main disadvantages I see with the BTR line of sets.
Hasbro claims to have larger models for less cost, but when you fill it full of
large highly specialized pieces like that, there's not much in the way of
freeform play value.  If you split it into three categories: Basic parts (2x4
bricks and such), specialized parts (guns, engines, click-hinges etc.) and
highly unique parts (shuttle cockpit, nose), what kind of part breakdown do you
get?

    Good point.  I'd say there are five completely generic parts: a 2x4 plate, a
2x6 plate, a 2x12 plate, a 6x(8 to 12) trapazoidal plate, and a 2x2 plate with a
double or triple-height center stud.  (I include this as a generic part because
I can think of using it for a pivot between it and a brick, when I want it to be
stiffer than the 2x2 rotating plates.)

    There are a number of pieces that, although not a generic piece, could be
used for various things.  The central 5-piece robot frane seems pretty useful
for making a robot out of, if you're willing to play around with it a bit.
Similarly there are two 2x2 bricks that curve up to a 1x1 stud surface, and two
2x6 bricks that curve up to a 1x6 surface.  These aren't completely generic,
because they have 'space' detailing.  There are two engine cone pieces good for
any space model, and the two triangular wing pieces could be used in any number
of space of sf-based construction.  (I could see using a number of them for an
angled staircase, for instance.)  Finally, there's a 2x2 gun-and-solar-panel
brick on the minicon that could be reused.

     Finally, there are the pieces that aren't as reuseable.  There's the
two-part cockpit and nose cone, the autobot face plate, the two red gun pieces,
the two autobot symbol decoration things, and just bout every piece of the
minicon.

     The Engine/Gun piece is an odd decision - on the one hand, it's a big
honing gun or engine in one piece.  On the other hand, the way that it is
triggered - by rotating a 2x2 plate - suggests some interesting use with
technics parts or even a mindstorm creation.

     Looking through the latest catalog/mini-comic, they all look like they were
basically tailored around the vehicle forms with the robots being afterthoughts
that were made out of whatever they could scrounge from the vehicle modes.

     I've already found a better transformation for JetFire, which I've posted
to this board, now that I've been soundly chastised for mentioning an off-brand
kit on the terribly high-noise review board. :)

-john