 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1735
Re: Apocryphal Blacktron
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 14:03:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Tom Sciortino wrote:
Ok, I gotta ask, are those all real pieces?  It's very evil looking (I
almost wish the canopy were black) and it definitely has a mysterious kind
of feel to it.

For now, let me contribute that all of the elements do indeed exist
in the real world, some may not exist in the precise colors used by Dave! In
particular, I am not sure about the trans-yellow 2x2 round tiles, the yellow
2x2 tiles, or the red 2x2 cones in the back.  The vast majority of the
elements *are* available and in the colors shown.

  I'm happy to report that all of the parts in those images do indeed exist in
real MegaBloks sets.  The trans-yellow 2x2 round tiles show up in the Monster
Truck (9749) and the Dune Racer (9763).  They're also in the Xtreme Sports set I
mentioned here: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/clone-brands/?n=1663 but I
don't know the set#.  The opaque yellow 2x2 tiles came from the 1500-piece
bucket from a few years back (and may also appear in the current bulk buckets,
but I don't own any of those).  The red 2x2 cones and red 2x2 round bricks came
from the "Freaky Fill-Up" (5601) set.  For the sake of completeness,
  The only part that might not exactly exist is the trans-yellow canopy which in
real life has a very slightly greenish cast.  Also, the black 2x2 round plate
came from the Bradley M2A2 (9724).

BTW, while I'm not sure about black, I think the canopy exists in the real
world as a dark blue.  Paul S. gave me one in a huge box of junk/spares
(thanks Paul!).

   I've never seen it in black, but the dark blue one probably came from the
Planetoids "LX-009" set (9300) from a few years back.

Seriously though, you nailed down the mysterious blacktron ideal.  It looks
mostly blacktron, but it *feels* totally blacktron.  And also in the spirit
of Blacktron, I gotta say this ship raises more questions than it does
answers...

I've already bugged Dave! to release a Mach II with slenderer yellow striping
on the sides (basically by using 1x2 tiles in black and yellow) -- but this
is my only insignificant request for achieving full BT1 feel.  A deeply
subjective point of niggling controversy, I admit.

   Soon I'll follow with a revision and possibly some other Blacktron-esque
models.  Thanks to everyone for the kind words (and to Mark Sandlin for his
righteous indignation!).

     Dave!