 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1587
Re: Mega Bloks New Alien Agency
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:11:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
Everyone go check out www.megabloks immediately

It looks like they're going for a MIB-esque hide-in-plain-sight
kind of transforming vehicle/playset thingie. Potentially very
cool, since the sets include a burger joint, a gas station, and
a garbage truck in addition to the basic Hangar already glimpsed.

Looks pretty damn fine to me.  The new elements include some large one piece
wall sections - I don't like 'em in Lego, and I don't like 'em here.  But
the dislikedness of this bit doesn't overcome my general enthusiasm (and it
does enhance the kiddie playablility factor).

The aliens are mold-it-yourself items.  I'm not thrilled about
that part of it, but I'm eager to see what else we end up with.

Agreed.  Again, high on the kiddie playability factor (that seems to have
been part of the roaring success of the Dragons line).  While there are
juniorised parts, their detail and texture makes them more attractive and
(for kids) more understandable and useful.  It seems to me that like the
drawing pens for camo on the earlier mech thingies, this is a good call.  If
you don't like it, it probably doesn't count against the set, but it enrols
the arty play doh purchasing demographic as well :-)

As someone who's fed up with the old (IMO awful) MB minifig
designs, I'm very happy to see them branching out into other
forms.

Absolutely.  Standard MB figs go in the bin at my place.  But I do like the
idea of better figs, for play with the Lego dudes.

I remember the Blockmen touting their superiority over the 'weak smiley
people' - I like the idea of some sensible figs to oppose (or is that
interact) with Lego minifigs.  My sons and I have had pitched battles
between MB Dragons barbarians and the armies of King Leo and others.  Turns
out Lego minifigs are weaker but smarter ;-)  Don't know if this will be
true when the MB figs have ... Lab Coats!

Though I enjoyed the Dragons minifigs, I found them to be a
little too ornate for satisfactory general use.  These AA guys
appear to have better LEGO design compatibility.

Mmmmm, Dragons guys could have used more non helmeted heads, and boofier
legs.  It would be good if the hands turned - this was my biggest complaint.

But once again, in perspective, even with complaints, I rather like the
Dragons line, and am looking forward to the AA line (just as I am looking
forward to the new Adventurers subtheme).  Scary huh?

Richard
Still baldly going...