 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1580
1579  |  1581
Subject:
Dodged a bullet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:59:44 GMT

I should've known better.  Despite the specific warning by a correspondent a
few months back, I still had not backed up the clone.dat library.  So
imagine my horror when I got some sort of weird, unclear Windows XP error
resulting in a black screen with a mobile but intert mouse pointer.  I used
my boot disk and learned that my fat table was apparently screwed up.  No
word on the thin table.

I called the helpful folks at Best Buy, the first of whom told me to use the
recovery software included with my purchase.  I asked "but won't that erase
all my data?"  and he said, "yes, but it'll restore it good as new."  I
asked, "may I speak with someone else?"

This second fellow said "DON'T USE THE RECOVERY SOFTWARE!"  He instructed me
to bring my system in for a looksee, and he was thankfully able to access
the drive and pull off the important stuff.

I had very little irreplaceable material on my hard drive, but I have quite
a few papers and documents that I would hate to have lost, as well as the
aforementioned clone.dats, which represent probably around 500 hours of work
over a few years.

The good news is that my system was restored.  The other good news is that
my clone.dats were saved!  The other other good news is that I now have a
backup on CD as of 12/15.  The other other other good news is that, as a
result of this stupid near-calamity, I am inspired to post the dats I have
available at my earliest opportunity, in the hope of distributing them
before some idiot (ie, me) loses them again, and in any case I'll have them
on my webpage if I should screw them up once more.

So stay tuned!  I'll have them zipped and uploaded in a couple of days,
after I've put the finishing touches on one or two other parts that are
vexing me.

Thanks to everyone who's expressed an interest, and thanks also for your
patience!

     Dave!