 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1569
1568  |  1570
Subject:
New Megabloks molds!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 21:40:01 GMT

Today I discovered that Megabloks has started using new molds, at least for
its 2x4 bricks.

A few days ago I built set #9762 Destroyer. Somehow the bricks felt
different. I'm still not sure why, but closer investigation has revealed:

1) the logo is different on the top: two circular impressions instead of
   one rectangular one

2) the bricks are much closer in fit to Lego bricks. I determined this
   using the experiment of laying a double-height row of the 2x4 bricks
   along one edge of a Lego baseplate. With Lego, the baseplate stays flat.
   With the old Megabloks bricks, the baseplate curves up noticeably. With
   the new Megabloks bricks, the baseplate curves, but much less than with
   the old ones. A much better fit together with Lego bricks.

   Now that I recall, I think the slopes in this set seemed to fit together
   much more uniformly - perhaps new molds for those, too.

3) Its not easy to predict which sets will have the new bricks. I bought a
   pair of USS Kittyhawks at the same time - one had new, and one old.

A comparison picture and similar words can be found at:

http://www.graysage.com/cg/Toys/Megabloks/index.html

Anyone got ways of determining other differences, like weight and material?

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/