 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 156
Re: "Clone" definition? And a question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 09:51:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Matthew Wilkins
writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
What, exactly, makes a brick a "clone?"  Lots of • AFOL's seem to include Tente
in the list of clone brands, and that's fine, but I • sort of inferred that
clones were those brands that made some attempt to • duplicate at least the
dimensions of Lego, if not the quality.  TYCO and • MegaBloks, for instance, fit
with Lego to some extent, whereas I don't recall Tente • fitting at all.  Is
"clone-ness" simply the general similarity between • brand X and Lego.  Or am I
thinking too hard about this?

In other news, I've finished generating DAT files for • 20 clone brand pieces,
from Block-Men, MegaBloks, and TYCO.  I don't have any • skill at webpage
design, so until I come up with a passable site, is • there a place I can post
the DATs for general use?
Of course, these pieces are ABSOLUTELY NOT part of the • LCad Canon, nor should
they be; I just wanted people to have the chance to • play around with the
pieces.  After all, in a virtual setting, differences • in ABS quality become
irrelevant!

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!

Dave!

See now, I've had a couple of Tyco sets (just for the • freaky looking
Spaceguys) and I once got a Tente set (Destroyer) from • a particularly clueless
relative, but I would *never* consider Tente to be a • Lego clone, any more than
I would consider *any* construction toys to be Lego • clones. Tyco and Block-Men
and MegaBloks, sure; they are interoperable with Lego, • albeit with different
pieces, but vive le difference! I personally consider • Tente to be a different
type of construction toy that happens to be similar in • functionality to Lego.

This is my AK$.02; if your opinion differs, let's hear • it!

-Cheese
I have recently inherited a large lot (over 14 lbs) o
lego clone bricks in mint condition.  They were mixed
into a large eBay lot.  Many of these bricks have no
marking/id on them.  The roof pieces, 3x4x1 are
appealing to me except for a stripe/raised area across
the center of each.  There seems to be variations in the
red/blue/black color hues, which seems odd.  Some of
these bricks appear to have a smiley face or anchor on
each stud.

  What do I do w/ these clones?

   I have collected lego for over 25 years, but I admit
my total ignorance of these bricks.  Are there any
compatability issues?  I'm tempted to use the black roof
pieces and auction off or bury in the closet, all the
rest.