 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 143
Re: "Clone" definition? And a question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 18:29:36 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

What, exactly, makes a brick a "clone?"  Lots of AFOL's seem to include Tente
in the list of clone brands, and that's fine, but I sort of inferred that
clones were those brands that made some attempt to duplicate at least the
dimensions of Lego, if not the quality.  TYCO and MegaBloks, for instance, fit
with Lego to some extent, whereas I don't recall Tente fitting at all.  Is
"clone-ness" simply the general similarity between brand X and Lego.  Or am I
thinking too hard about this?

Well, there is a spectrum which makes it hard to put a line, though I'd
propose 5 categories of non-LEGO construction sets:

Clone: has bricks with the same dimensions as LEGO bricks

   Mega Bloks, Tyco, Coko (I think)

Compatible: has components which will interlock with LEGO bricks

   DUPLO, Mega Bloks (DUPLO clones), Tyco (DUPLO clones), Bestlock (stud
height is different)

Look-a-like: components look like LEGO bricks, but dimensions are
different

   Modulex

LEGO-like: components use similar ideas, but are very different

   Tente?

Other: all other construction toys

   Meccano, Erector, Lincoln Logs, KNex (though they may be LEGO
compatible now)

In other news, I've finished generating DAT files for 20 clone brand pieces,
from Block-Men, MegaBloks, and TYCO.  I don't have any skill at webpage
design, so until I come up with a passable site, is there a place I can post
the DATs for general use?
Of course, these pieces are ABSOLUTELY NOT part of the LCad Canon, nor should
they be; I just wanted people to have the chance to play around with the
pieces.  After all, in a virtual setting, differences in ABS quality become
irrelevant!

If you e-mail me the DAT file, I'll put it up on my web page.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com