 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1528
Re: Off-topic.clones: I wish TLG would have made this part!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Larry Pieniazek writes:

I ain't the right guy to ask [about purity] as I've become rather lax of
late... I cut tubing at angles for dramatic effect, I'll have you know

  Scandalous!  Next thing, you'll be applying decals.  It's like I don't
even know you anymore.

(you shall see later this month what I mean by that if someone else takes
good pics at the Dearborn Show)...

  I'd like to see those pics, if anyone takes them.  To date, the best
train-ish creation is about as dynamic as a block of 2x4 bricks.  But it's
8-wide, if that earns me any points...

I'm a fan of the *idea* of clones. Just not any of the realizations I've
seen so far (I have examples from at least a half dozen different companies
if you count Tente)... with the possible exception of Tyco, because none of
them grip well enough to suit me. But you already knew that, Dave!

  If shipping didn't cost a mint, it might be worth your trouble to acquire
one of these recent Oxford sets we've been discussing.  The plastic quality
is remarkably good, on par with The Holy Brand itself.  On the official
Oxford Toys site I saw a link for some kind of Train set, but I couldn't
find any useful info about them, alas.

(To other readers, I mostly mentioned it leaking into .trains as a throwaway
straight line to see what would develop, not because I care 100%... It's
always nice to see oneself obliged, especially if it's a good (or at least
semi passable, as in this case) riff by a master such as Dave!)

  Ah, you're too kind!  Nothing warms my heart like being called a Master of
the Semi Passable.

     Dave!