 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1522
Re: Off-topic.clones: I wish TLG would have made this part!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:32:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~drteeth1/newparts/oxfords.jpg

So cool!  I esp. like the antennae.  The hinged hatch covers also look
great, as do the grooved bricks.

  I should have shown the underside of the cover, since it has three studs
like a 2x4 plate.  The brick in the front left corner is a '2x2 slope 45
inverted' with four grooves and a "stepped" body style.  This already
appears in the clone library and was modelled from a Coko castle element,
but it also showed up in the tank model.  This is one of the bits that makes
me think there's some sharing of molds, even if the various companies aren't
actually one and the same.

Aren't those grooved bricks almost identical to something some trainheads
customized from regular bricks?

  They seem similar, but the Oxford grooved brick (which has an open back,
by the way) is as "deep" front-to-back as it is tall, making it slightly
"deeper" than a standard 1x2 brick.  The grooves are a little smaller than
the trainhead creations, too.
  I dunno--it seems to me that the homemade grooved bricks are clones in
their own right.   Hmm...

     Dave!