 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1445
1444  |  1446
Subject:
Review of Oxford set OCM 15000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 03:46:57 GMT

This is the tank model recently available though a Hong Kong-based seller on
Ebay.  The kit is, in a word, fantastic.  I would say categorically that if
this brand were widely available in the US, and if it had any name recognition,
it would easily cripple LEGO's sales, and likely blow MegaBloks out of the
water, too.  That's tough for me to say, since I'm such a MegaBloks fan, but
the quality of this set is really remarkable.

First, a few technical notes.  It came in a box about 9" x 11" x 2" with good
design, notably including six detail photos in addition to the main image on
the front of the package.  No alternate models are shown.  Nearly all the text
is Korean, which I can't read, but the UPC and a few other bits have Arabic
numerals.  The box is good cardboard, sealed with the standard circle of tape
on either end.  The inner packaging is white, thin corrugated cardboard
containing four polybags, the 23-page instruction book, a decal sheet, and a
folded, single-sheet catalog.  The package arrived unopened and in excellent
condition.
The instructions are on par with LEGO, and each step includes an inset of the
parts added to the model.  Running a quick tally from the instruction book, I
count the model to use 297 pieces, but I have a few small parts left over,
bringing the actual piece count to 302.  The main color of the model is a deep
olive drab, slightly darker than Tyco military green or MegaBloks' recent
Combat Tank set.  There are also some trans blue, yellow, and red elements, in
addition to two sprues of dusty grey weapons and accesories.  The kit includes
three infantry figures with helmets, as well as a beret-and-sunglasses-wearing
tank driver.

To me, the plastic seems to be ABS of quality very near to LEGO or Tyco. I've
concluded that the bulk of these parts are made using the
Coko/Blok-Tek/Brick-O molds from a few years back.  The pieces do not have a
logo, but several distinctive elements are identical to those earlier brands.
Perhaps Oxford is the Asian incarnation of the current Shifty/Coko brand?  I
have no way to tell, alas.

Even the most ardent clone apologist will admit that most clone minifigs are
dismal shades of their LEGO predecessors.  MegaBloks is getting better lately
with the Dragons figs and the latest batch of BlokBots, but they still have a
way to go.  Oxford, however, is about 98% of LEGO quality, and the only real
shortcomings are that Oxford figs seem slightly softer, and the legs do not
link into the torso with quite the same strength as LEGO.  However, the torso
and leg elements have rounded edges, which to me gives them a superior
appearance. The figures are the same size and dimensions as LEGO, and their
parts and headgear can be interchanged easily.
Overall, the model design is great, and the barrel is the only "juniorized"
element.  Playability is high; the turret rotates, the wheels and rubber treads
move, the barrel elevates, the turret hatch opens, and the laser range finder
also rotates.  The accessories are likewise very nice, including a pistol, five
rifles, an ammo box, a walkie-talkie, and two pairs of field glasses.  The only
flaw I detect is that the treads do not have the texture shown on the box photo
but are instead simple rectangular slats, like their MegaBloks equivalents.
Not a big deal, but noticeable.
I don't know what the true shelf price is, but I got it for about $35 plus
shipping (which is admittedly far too high, but I was quite eager).  Of course,
a LEGO set of comparable design and piece count would undoubtedly have cost at
least what I paid for this one.

I'll be posting scans of some of the coolest elements, as well as the decal
sheet and images from the box and catalog.  As I mentioned, if this brand comes
to the US, LEGO is in serious trouble.  For now, keep your eyes on Ebay.  With
a low bid price, the quality of this set justifies the high shipping cost.

Ratings:
Design: 10
Colors: 8 (accurate, but not especially appealing)
Playability: 10
Piece:price value: 6 (but would be better with direct retail)
Alternate models: None

Who's up for a road trip to Hong Kong?!?

     Dave!