 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1133
1132  |  1134
Subject:
TLC Learns to Mega Bloks -- Re: #4793 Ogel Shark Sub
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:41:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey Y'all:

This has already been partially discussed in this thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/loc/au/?n=7977

TLC seems to now be designing elements and whole sets around lessons learned
from Ritvik/Mega Bloks -- and in some respects I think they are not learning
the lessons very well, particularly where price, design, and ready
availability of new elements is concerned.

My observations stem from having just built the new #4793 Ogel Shark Sub.
At 111 pcs. for $20 USD this set is NOT a very good deal.  The design of the
set, which is awful, seems to have been driven primarily by a desire on the
part of TLC to sparingly distribute certain new elements in limited
quantities per set but still be able to build a set around the paltry
selection of elements chosen.  In particular, I am annoyed with the manner
they have designed and distributed the new *mecha-style* arm and socket
elements.  If you want to see what I am talking about, please visit the
illustrated webpage on which I discuss the mecha element battle taking place
between TLC and MB:

http://members.aol.com/blueofnoon4/lego/armsoket.html

Even if you don't read any of my observations about the elements, I think
the pictures speak for themselves.  Just remember that the really cool
elements are the MB ones, and that everything one needs to create an
amazingly cool mecha (and more!) with MB's elements comes in one set of 440
elements for $20 USD.  With TLC's designs, one would need at least 2 copies
of a poorly designed set achieving a 222 element count for $40 USD, and then
the element designs themselves present real problems for MOC mecha building.
BTW, it's worth noting that most of the elements one would be getting via
TLC's offerings would provide little joy if one was needing basic plates and
bricks with which to build -- so the value for the money is even worse than
a straight up cost per element analysis reveals. Far worse.

We can only assume that the marketplace must really be heating up between
TLC and MB with what we have been observing of TLC's new set designs for
2002.  TLC is pathetically grasping at straws in terms of vision, element
designs, and the white elephant business practices with which it has
burdened itself. I really don't know what to make of the fact that the
finest construction toy company in the world is so pointedly copying it's
weaker opponent's practices. Should we just start the deadpool now?

See it for yourself...

-- Hop-Frog