 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1078
    Re: What brand is this? —Dave Schuler
   (...) I have a few of those stores in my area--I'll check their supply. (...) If you're talking about ATCO, then you're right, and one cannot say enough bad things about them. Thank you, Maggie and Aaron, for the information. I won that second (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

        Re: What brand is this? —Dave Schuler
   (...) I received the item today, and it's, well, sort of weird. I've given it only a cursory inspection, but the plastic appears to be PVC, and the parts are packaged on a couple of sprues. The odd thing is that nearly all of the parts are direct (...) (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

        Re: What brand is this? —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) ?? Really?? Not some sort of Styrene but Poly Vinyl Chloride, the stuff that those offwhite household sewage pipes are made of? That's wild. I would have expected Polystyrene (which is not as good as ABS, the "better" styrene) for this usage. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

        Re: What brand is this? —Dave Schuler
   (...) Doh! Hoisted by *my* petard! I think you're right, insofar as I can judge the plastic simply by handling it; polystyrene it is. I spell Chemistry with a capital F. Dave! (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

        Re: What brand is this? —Aaron Sneary
   Actually, PVC can be molded into moderately detailed shapes. There is a model railroad materials company (evergreen I think) that makes trusses, I beam, tubing, and etc. out of PVC. It's much more slippery than styrene, requires a different glue, (...) (23 years ago, 27-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)