 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1062
  What brand is this?

(URL) quickly--the auction's over and the picture might not last too long. I bid on it early but failed to follow up, so I didn't win; I'd like to have seen these bricks in person, since they look like clones of recent (and still, presumably, (...) (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: What brand is this?

(...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: What brand is this?

(...) BTW I believe Markson Products supplies the dollar-type stores with cheap general merchandise, so these sets could be from stores such as those. I checked two local ones (called "Dollar Tree" IIRC) but they didn't have this brand. They had a (...) (23 years ago, 12-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: What brand is this?

(...) I have a few of those stores in my area--I'll check their supply. (...) If you're talking about ATCO, then you're right, and one cannot say enough bad things about them. Thank you, Maggie and Aaron, for the information. I won that second (...) (23 years ago, 13-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: What brand is this?

(...) I received the item today, and it's, well, sort of weird. I've given it only a cursory inspection, but the plastic appears to be PVC, and the parts are packaged on a couple of sprues. The odd thing is that nearly all of the parts are direct (...) (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: What brand is this?

(...) ?? Really?? Not some sort of Styrene but Poly Vinyl Chloride, the stuff that those offwhite household sewage pipes are made of? That's wild. I would have expected Polystyrene (which is not as good as ABS, the "better" styrene) for this usage. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: What brand is this?

(...) Doh! Hoisted by *my* petard! I think you're right, insofar as I can judge the plastic simply by handling it; polystyrene it is. I spell Chemistry with a capital F. Dave! (23 years ago, 26-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: What brand is this?

Actually, PVC can be molded into moderately detailed shapes. There is a model railroad materials company (evergreen I think) that makes trusses, I beam, tubing, and etc. out of PVC. It's much more slippery than styrene, requires a different glue, (...) (23 years ago, 27-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)