 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1028
Re: Tyco
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:51:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Jack Gregory writes:
I bought a used batch of LEGO the other day, and it turned out to contain a
large number of clones marked Tyco.  Since I don't wnat these contaminating
my LEGO, I plan to get rid of them.  Is there an aftermarket for these?

I had never heard of Tyco clone LEGO before this; I have seen Megablocks and
those go right into the garbage can, but these Tycos have a real quality
feel to them, they just aren't interesting.  Are they still made?

I don't frequent this newgroup (obviously), but I will check back for

  TYCO is generally regarded as the best of the clone brands, but alas it is
no longer made.  Called Superblocks, the bricks came in an array of colors
and themes, such as castle, construction, military, space, and just general
building sets a la LEGO system.  Among the coolest features of Superblocks
were male:male and female:female connector plates, as well as stepped slope
bricks and a selection of nice wheel elements.  Some of the themes also
included motorized bricks for 4-legged walkers and light-and-sound elements.
  So if you're not a clone fan but absolutely have to have one brand of
clones, TYCO is probably the way to go.  Coko, Blok-Tek, and Brik-O seem to
have been either subsidiary brands, or else the manufacturers acquired the
TYCO molds, since certain unusual brick designs are common to all four brands.
  If you intend to keep the TYCO bricks, I doubt many people will fault you!

     Dave!