 Model Team / 625
Re: Scania P124GB10x4/6 concrete mixer on BimP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:53:39 GMT

I like the five axle arrangement, is this common on Dutch roads? What gross
vehicle weight does this support? As far as I know four axles with a gross
vehicle weight of 32 tons is the maximum you can have here in the UK on a
normal rigid vehicle, apart from cranes.

The last fifteen years five-axle rigid vehicles are very popular in the
Netherlands. Since we have Terberg and GINAF trucks, the heaviest ones has
always 5-axles. In the Netherlands is it common to have a five-axle vehicle
with a gross weight of 50 tons. Some specials (because of the special axle
distances) can have a technical gross weight of 56 tons! Four-axle rigids
are allowed to have a gross weight of 46 tons, also, of course that depends
on the
axles distances. For example a normal MB Actros 8x8 has a 37 tons chassis.
The 8x8 GINAF and Terberg has a 42 tons chassis, but some specials, which a
very popular nowadays, has 46 tons chassis! A five-axles Actros rigid is
typed as a 47 tonnes chassis. GINAF can build a 53 tons chassis!

But there a tendens that tractor/trailer trucks has six axles. That's mainly
because of the axle presure when the truck isn't 100% loaded. An example: a
5-axle tractor + trailer is loaded with 30 tons concrete bricks. The driver
unloads 15 tons from the back. Now the drive axle of the tractor has a
presure of about lets say 13 tons. The authority say that's too high. That's
why more and more tractors are 6x2s. These vehicles are also used by the
England drivers!

It would appear that you prefer the ungeared 9V motor to the newer 9V
motor - is this in general or just for the drum rotation? I still think that
the older one made a better pneumatic compressor, but the new ones seem to
give plenty of torque especially when geared down by 9:1.

I don't have well experiences with the geared version. I already
'demolished' three of them. I only use them for light purposes, like slewing
a loading crane behind a truck. Because my models are very big, I need
strong motors. The geared 9V motor isn't strong enough! But I still prefer
the good old 12V ones, the ones which were used in the blue railed trains.
Most of the eight 12V motors I have are nearly thirty years old, but they're
still working!

Dennis