 MediaWatch / 680
679  |  681
Subject:
From the 15 minutes of fame department...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:29:44 GMT

I am supposed to be interviewed today for the local news. It's not LEGO(r)
related, although I may slip a little something in, but rather it's because
of our many exchange students.

We have had GEO exchange students the last 2 summers and are hosting one
again this summer. (1) (2) GEO is having trouble finding enough host
families for all the students coming over and one of our local channels(3),
WOOD TV 8 is sending a crew out to interview me about what it's like hosting
students, perils and pitfalls, rewards and all that.

I love having exchange students. World Peace through understanding. :-)

1 - As long time readers know we hosted a full year student about 4-5 years
back, who went back to Novkutznesk, Siberia for her last year of school, and
then came back to the US to live with us and go to college. Julia is now
entering her senior year in Computer Science and is doing great. But that
was through AFS, not GEO. GEO is a one month immersive program and a great
way to try out the exchange student thing to see if you like it.

2 - Actually our GEO student is a repeat from last year. Laura Martin had so
much fun she asked for us again. She's from Spain and speaks Catalan as well
as Spanish.

3 - This applies to the Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA area and it's doubtful
it will be seen outside that area